Thread: Great Job, Great Lakes!

My Name
    Chad Miller

Great Job, Great Lakes!

I put this in the Hunt Test Info Forum, too, but wanted to put it here, in case anyone missed it! I am so proud to be a part of this club. Thanks to everyone for a great weekend in tough conditions!

I just want to post a huge THANK YOU to all of the members, and even non-members, who pitched in this weekend to make sure our test went off well. We had a great turn out of members and there were 3-4 people who spent the whole day at each test - some of whom weren't even running dogs - just to make sure that things got set up, torn down, moved, and organized in a timely manner. I also saw folks pitching in to dry birds, help handlers, etc. who weren't even from our club! What a great organization we belong to!

A special thanks needs to go out to Tim Doane and Patti Doane for taking on the Hunt Chairman duties this year, to Wendy Swift for tackling Hunt Secretary (for BOTH the Upland and Regular hunt this year!), and Jason and Jean Stephens for preparing all the food for the weekend.

There are far too many people who helped out and without whom the test wouldn't have been able to go on for me to mention everyone, but Tim and Patti did a great job of coordinating who needed to be where, making sure they were there on time, and doing it all with a smile on their faces.

Wendy had a huge task to tackle, doing Hunt Secretary for the first time in conditions that were far less than favorable, so she was working with limited communication, and yet chased down all the loose ends and was able to have the hunts wrapped up before we left the grounds on Sunday! I'd say that her and Nathan going home with the commemorative duck and goose calls was only fair!

If you ate anything, you know that enough thanks cannot be paid to Jason and Jean Stephens. Not only did they prepare three meals for more than 80 people, the pork roast on Saturday night was absolutely heavenly! Once again, they were within 5-6 pork sandwiches of predicting exactly how much food they would need, did it all on a budget, and produced gourmet fixin's that sent everyone home full and happy! We know how hard you guys worked to keep that all ready when you didn't even know when the tests would get over and people would show up for dinner, so thanks again for all of your hard work!

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention how much we appreciated National HRC Secretary, Carol Ford for attending our hunt. Carol showed off point slips she earned at one of our very first hunts and talked about the days when they used live shackled ducks for water marks and live shot flyer pigeons for land marks! What a great story about how she and Mike trained in Canada (where using live birds is illegal for training) to get ready for this! We also appreciated Marc Hettig showing up to the awards ceremony wearing his ribbon that he earned at our Preliminary hunt in 1986! Those guys organized this club 25 years ago, and those of us involved now, can't thank you enough!

Finally, thanks to everyone who signed up to run a dog. Whether your dog passed or not, whether your run was how you envisioned it or not, we sincerely hope everyone had a good time and will come back and see us next year. We promise better weather (could it possibly GET worse?), and we'll do our best to see to it you have a great time with us again. Thanks for supporting us on our 25th Anniversary and here's to Great Lakes putting on 25 more!
    Wake me up early, be good to my dogs, and teach my children to pray!
    ---John Anderson, Black Sheep

My Name
    Brian Courser

Re: Great Job, Great Lakes!

ya we have pretty good group

Started Member

And we had a GREAT group of workers, best ever! Those girls from the Soccer? team from Hamilton? HS were awesome!!! Such good attitudes to stick it out throughout the nasty weather, no complaints, they followed instructions perfectly and had no problem with dead ducks. Their parents should be proud and we should get them again!

My Name
    Chad Miller

Sarah,

To give credit where credit is due, that was the Hopkins HS Soccer Team. I would echo your thoughts, too! They were awesome, worked hard, and I can honestly say I did not hear one complaint about weather, ducks, or anything else all weekend! I passed along to their coach that we were really impressed and would have them back any time!

Chad
    Wake me up early, be good to my dogs, and teach my children to pray!
    ---John Anderson, Black Sheep