Thread: DNRE Seeks Input on Grand River State Game Area Pl

My Name
    Brian Courser

DNRE Seeks Input on Grand River State Game Area Pl

I believe this is where we used to hold our test before our current location. Might be of interest to have some input

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Feb. 22, 2011

Contacts: John Niewoonder 616-794-2658 or Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014

DNRE Seeks Input on Grand River State Game Area Plan; Public Meeting Set for March 1 in Belding

The Department of Natural Resources and Environment today announced a public meeting in west Michigan to discuss development of a strategic plan for the Grand River State Game Area. The game area is located in Ionia County, a few miles southeast of the city of Ionia. The open house for the Grand River SGA strategic plan is set for 1 to 3 p.m. March 1 at the Flat River SGA Field Office, located at 6650 Long Lake Rd. in Belding.

“Strategic plans articulate the direction for management on lands administered by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment Wildlife Division,” said DNRE Wildlife Division Chief Russ Mason. “These lands were purchased and dedicated specifically for wildlife restoration and wildlife-related recreation. Multiple use of these areas is encouraged, provided it does not interfere with the primary purpose of restoring wildlife habitats and wildlife populations.”

The state’s game and wildlife areas were purchased and are managed using federal aid in Wildlife Restoration Act (Pittman-Robertson) funds, money generated from federal excise taxes on firearms and ammunition. Those funds are matched with state hunter license fees. Hunter license fees and Pittman-Robertson funds are the only funding source for management and maintenance of state game and wildlife area lands. In addition, some of these lands were acquired using the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund.

“As part of this planning process, we’re asking for public input through an open house meeting,” said Mason. “This is an excellent opportunity for the public to learn more about Michigan’s state game and wildlife areas and provide their own insight on the plan for the Grand River State Game Area.”

At the March 1 meeting, DNRE staff will be available to informally meet with the public to answer questions and hear input. The DNRE will accept written public comments on the strategic plan for 30 days following the open house. For more information, contact DNRE wildlife biologist John Niewoonder at 616-794-2658.

Persons with disabilities needing accommodations for the meeting should contact John Niewoonder, 616-794-2658, a minimum of five business days before the meeting. Requests made less than five business days before the event may not be accommodated.

To learn more about the DNRE’s Wildlife Division and the Grand River State Game Area, visit www.michigan.gov/wildlife.

The Department of Natural Resources and Environment is committed to the conservation, protection, management, and accessible use and enjoyment of the state's environment, natural resources, and related economic interests for current and future generations. Learn more at www.michigan.gov/dnre.

###

My Name
    Chad Miller

Re: DNRE Seeks Input on Grand River State Game Are

I agree that a letter of input from the club might be in order. I wonder, is anyone in the club up to writing a letter (possibly with input from members who were around when we used that property), to send in? I think it would help if it was someone from the area, but I think anyone who is a sportsman/person could give input and be heard since the DNRE is asking for input.

The property isn't exactly the same grounds we used to use. It's north and east a few miles, but looks like a very nice piece of property. I also wonder if it is or will be designated dog training ground. I know that when we were at Ionia, the grounds we were using were in or close to designated field trial grounds. There was always a question about whether or not the section we used was field trial grounds and whether or not what we do qualified to use the field trial grounds (At least there was question in my mind as a newbie because we always seemed to be discussing/arguing it with the state!), but the grounds were very nice. They were just a challenge to use due to the problems with working with the land manager.

Any volunteers for writing a letter?
    Wake me up early, be good to my dogs, and teach my children to pray!
    ---John Anderson, Black Sheep